U.S. military base in D.C. on lockdown after reports of gunfire


Arnold Gate of the Anacostia-Bolling joint military base in Washington, Wednesday, April 17, 2013.

Alex Brandon | AP

A U.S. military base in Washington, D.C., went on lockdown Friday in response to a potentially armed individual who had been seen on the campus.

The person, initially described as a Black male with a medium build “carrying a Gucci Bag,” had last been spotted on the south side of Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, according to the official Facebook page for the outpost. D.C. police said that they would only verify the person was male.

In an update, the base alerted people to be on the lookout for two individuals: one a Black male with medium build “with dreads” and “wearing ripped blue jeans,” and the other a Black man wearing green pants and a white top.

The second man “may be injured,” the update noted.

“LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN LOCKDOWN,” the base first announced on Facebook at 12:37 p.m. ET.

“If you encounter the individual and have a safe route, RUN. If you do not have a safe route to run, HIDE. Barricade your door, turn off the lights and your cell phone ringer, and remain silent. If you are hiding, prepare to FIGHT,” the post said.

A spokeswoman for the D.C. police told CNBC that the department had received a phone call at 12:04 p.m. regarding the sound of gunshots being heard at a location east of the base.

No victims have been identified yet, the spokeswoman said.

Google Earth viewo of Anacostia-Bolling Air Force Base, DC.

Google Earth

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.



Source link